Thursday, June 05, 2008

It's been quiet on this blog...

...for not the reason everyone assumes.

We've had a rough week in the Isaac household.

Monday Dylan and I were released to go home from the hospital. Not 5 hours later it became clear that something was wrong with Dylan. He was not eating and lethargic. We went to the ER here in Raleigh.

Dylan's been tested up and down. He spent 2 days in the PICU. Now we are together in a pediatric room (neither Ramesh nor I want him left without one of us at any time). Thankfully all tests have come back with positive results. When he was admitted, his heart rate was very low. Checks of his heart are all good. His thyroid and metabolic functions are good. Blood and urine good. Of course, then we're left with a "well then what" feeling.

This is where it gets interesting.

We tried for 18 months to get pregnant with Dylan. We suffered 2 losses in those 18 months. We were very acutely aware of my "dates". But, it seems my body was on slow cook mode - because Dylan was delivered when I was 39w5d per the OB, but has the development of a preemie. They wager he's more like 36 weeks. He didn't have the correct sucking functions. He tired easily when trying to breastfeed which snowballed into him being weak and dehydrated. His heart decelerations can be attriuted to his developmental age.

This is all just crazy to me!!

So, at this point, we're still in the hospital and Dylan has to meet certain eating critria prior to release. The nurse was very encouraging earlier today in that she felt he'd be released within the next day or two. I can't wait. Although, I have to admit, going home will also bring a certain level of fear. I'm certain he'll end up being my most spoiled boy yet.

Of course I'll post again with more information. I just thought it important to let my more far away friends in on why we're so quiet.

3 comments:

Shawna Barlette said...

I can tell you that most of the special-ness of the bond you and I enjoy comes from nearly the same circumstances. You will see. There's something about a hospitalization of an baby at birth that sort of changes the dynamic of the relationship forever. I hope you are as lucky as I am, and develop the same bond with Dylan as I have with you. Can't wait to "start over" with the homecoming, and begin the spoiling of our 3rd grandson again! We love all of you so very much. Mom and Pop (the tutu's)

Anonymous said...

Your mom is totally right. You and Dylan are creating a special bond right now, just like you did with Connor and his speech and Aidan and his tummy. This will strengthen your bond. I know it is earlier and scarier than you had ever thought and it is hard.

Having had a similar experience with Molly, I can safely say it is hard now, but you are in the best place you can be getting all of the care that you and Dylan need. You'll make it through.

Remember to take care of yourself, you are healing too. Love Dylan, and leave the stress and worrying to the doctors. You need the energy to heal so that when you do get home, you'll be ready to help Dylan.

Keep up the great work! Hug each other lots. Lot's of love from Cali.

Ali, Dave, Molly and Kiwi

threeforme said...

Hey there,

I just read this (and the subsequent posts) because I'm a bit behind the times. I'm so sorry for the terrifying experience. Thank God he is ok. And he's extremely adorable on top of that!

Keep spoiling him. I'm sure Aidan and Connor are happy to help in that respect.

love you!