Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My great white whale

Over the past few weeks I've come to recognize that's I've got a great white whale.

It's my POOL.

We moved into the house thinking "Wow, how cool that we have our very own pool." I actually am not much of a swimmer. I think it's because I've spent my whole life being pale as chalk (as one boyfriend so eloquently put it) and have never desired to don a swimsuit and be out in the sun and public. Or maybe it's just a general fear of the water. Yes, I can swim to save my life. Do I really enjoy swimming? Nope.

So, the pool cost us a ton of money to get opened. It was the color of a swamp when we opened it. Hundreds of dollars and gray hairs later, we got it balanced and good to go. Problem is, we were not disciplined enough to do the daily maintenance necessary.

Then it rained.

Now, it's green again. Well, half of it is green. The shallow end is tempting me with a tint of blue, but the deep end constantly reminds me "Oops...shoulda kept that chlorine level up". Dirty rat.

So, every morning you find me out there scrubbing the pool and dumping more $$ into it in order to clear it up. My hope is that if we get it cleared up, we can close it and thankfully get some peace until spring. The pool guy tells me that if I get it balanced with the right chemicals it should be pretty clear when we open it. Only time will tell on that.

No comments: