It all started months ago when mom and Ramesh decided to run together, with a purpose. The purpose wasn't to bond and become closer to one another, to vastly learn to enjoy each others' company (I think they already did get along, otherwise we wouldn't even be having this line of thinking). The purpose was to train for Ramesh's first marathon! Apparently there's not too many marathons out in our neck of the woods. There's one in Raleigh that seasoned runners have termed "challenging" -- read HILLY. So, they set their sights on OBX.
In case you don't know - OBX stands for Outer Banks. That's a small strip of land sitting out in the Atlantic ocean straight East of Raleigh.
We left on Friday afternoon. We hit traffic, but rolled into Kitty Hawk around 8pm. My parents had already arrived at our hotel suite and were waiting for us. Saturday was our sightseeing day. We walked along the beach looking for shells - Aidan loves to collect things. First it was rocks, then feathers and now it's shells. My dad was looking for shells to add to his beautiful fish tank at home. The rest of us just enjoyed the beautiful morning.
The weather began to turn a bit on us. What was a nice day turned into this cold, windy, rain spitting monster. BRR. We were able to visit the Wright Bros. Memorial for a little bit and we also saw Bodie Island Lighthouse. My dad and Aidan climbed a HUGE sand dune at Jockey's Ridge State Park. What a fun day just bumming around!
Sunday was the race. Mom and Ramesh were up bright and early for a 7:20 race start. The day was a bit nicer, but still the wind persisted. The two of them finally crossed the finish line at 5hr 30 min from start. Not the fastest in the world - but they did it! Although the "seasoned veteran" of the two, I am still impressed that my mother gets out and runs like that. I am immensely proud that Ramesh stuck to the training and ran a marathon!! Not sure he'll run another - time will tell!



1 comment:
All I can say is that your mom and my son are our heros. I wish I could have set such goals to finish in month!
Mohan
Post a Comment