
Today marks the one year anniversary of the passing of a wonderful woman, Donna Barlette. It's funny how the longer it's been since someone has left your life, the more you come to realize how important they were in it and how much of a void is now left behind.
My Grandma Donna was probably the most lively person I have known. Always full of spirit and spunk, throwing caution to the wind and having a ball doing it!
When I was a young girl I just didn't really know what to think. I visited her in D.C. for a few weeks in the summer. I remember her getting a june bug caught in the quasi-beehive hairdo she had. She wore a lot of sequins and always the biggest earrings. She was unique. When I was 12 unique wasn't cool. It was embarassing. Now, as I reflect this day I think UNIQUE IS THE COOLEST THING.
She was cool. She was generous and loving. She always did, and still does make me smile. I miss her.



1 comment:
Here here! I'll second that. Donna was my mother-in-law, and she was the best damn mother-in-law on the planet. I miss her a lot too. She was outrageous, and never apologized for being so. I will never forget the first time I met her. She came to visit on the train, and stood on the exit stairwell and waved at Rick and I. I was floored. I said to Rick "my god..is that your Mother?" She was wearing these black and white harlequin diamond patterned spandex slacks, huge hoop earrings, and a great big smile. And, she was a stunningly beautiful woman. She was truly a gift for anyone who knew her.
Post a Comment